Saturday, April 4, 2009

Wake Up Early

This is my favorite part of the week. Saturday afternoons after I finish my radio shift I slow down and breathe. I cook and eat a lunch of something from scratch and eat it while looking out our kitchen window onto what is right now our snow covered garden, while the sun pours back upon me. I then will often leisurely nurse the day's second cup of coffee as I follow whatever whim my heart chases (reading, crossword, blog scanning...). It is the most freedom filled moment of my week. The furthest possible moment from obligation and work.

It's not that I'm counting the minutes till I'm done at the station. I actually enjoy the experience and unique challenge of the job. I in fact gained a new appreciation for it this week. I realized while in the midst of a meeting this week that this is helping me be a better story teller. I can talk, I can B.S., but I need to better tame and train the beast. Containing eloquence, witt and entertainment in a coherent 45 second bite is a difficult task. I must plan my pronounced perceptions and pauses instead of allowing it to spill free form as I more often do. Perhaps this alchemy will produce a tongue of silver yet.

No comments: