Friday, April 3, 2009

One Day He Went Out for Milk and Never Came Home



Here is a glimpse at the aforementioned Moleskine notebook that I have been drawing in (not enough by my standards). It ends up holding a few thoughts besides the visual experimentation.

Our minds are anchored
to nature
to experience
to everything that has come before
but as spiritual creatures
we experience the unseen
immaterial and unknowable.
As experiencers of the spiritual
is our visual representations
flavoured by the unseen and unknown
spiritual realm?

on left page

Talks about the radio station, "christian" music, my reading of "Addicted to Mediocrity" and moments of overheard truth about art have concentrated my thoughts in this area lately. The above is where my mind ran to one day (most likely as I consumed mass amounts of caffeine spurring thought). Do we in some way see the unseen in art? I had another thought as I was shoveling snow today. Perhaps Christian art has generally been dumbed down to trinkets (as Des so well articulated for me yesterday) because art is viewed by the North Am Christian community as entertainment based instead of a medium of communication.



This is one piece in my Moleskine that I really like. I think Aaron called him Bubba. I'm finding I draw more cartoony pieces like Bubba here than anything realistic. I'm not very good at drawing realistic and find it intimidating to try, so I'm not very good at it. I wonder if I had some critical flaw might I be more "artistic". You hear of so many great artists creating amazing works as a result of wrestiling with their inner demons, their dark crippling past, etc. Maybe I should have a string of bad relationships or take to the bottle.

No comments: