Thursday, November 25, 2010

I got on the wrong bus a week ago. I stepped off green grass onto the bus, and in the 20 odd pages that my attentions were away from the window, the scenery changed. It wasn't until I got near my stop that I looked up and realized there was snow everywhere. Not just little bits here and there, but blankets enough to leave footprints. I had taken the bus to winter. Step on in one world, step off into another.

I must say it was one of the best ways to move into winter. No slow crawl into the frozen months. It was more like a magic trick. A dark cloth was spread over the world, a little misdirection here and then ABRACADABRA. The cloth is removed and everything is magically and drastically change.

I'm not the biggest fan of winter. Yes there are good things about it, but I feel the cold generally out ways the benefits. But I do make peace with it. I accept the things that it does have to offer and pay winter's exorbitant price for them. So today I performed the peace ceremony. It involves baking the seasons first batch of ginger snaps while drinking something warm and listening to my new winter album. This year is the The Wilderness of Manitoba's newest LP (ironically a band from Ontario). I am ready to face off against the winter months with a gingersnap in my mouth, a cup of tea in my hands and sweet voices in my ear.

No comments: