Friday, August 20, 2010

New Westminister

I now have internet hooked up in my apartment, which I am pleased to say was not missed a great deal.

I guess the bigger news out of that statement is that I moved out. Yes, finally, at 27. I don't say that without a twinge of embarrassment raising its bright prickly head. So now, I call the east Broadway area home. The question I have been asked most concern the move is, "are you excited?" Honestly, no. Maybe it is that I knew I had the apartment many months before I could move in so it ebbed away before the move, or that the sense of relief of the event finally happening was greater. I think more that it just above all else felt natural. I feel calm. I have been enjoying the century old wood floors, white walls and large windows that make up the stage for my hours away from the world.

I know, general social conventions state that this should have happened quite a few years ago, but, I never felt that my wings were in any way constricted at home and so never pushed very hard. I had no impulse to escape a family, or a small town or rules like many people causing them to move at the soonest available moment. I have not used my lack of a superior to sow wild oats, or step across previously placed boundaries to test praxis. I never felt restricted in stretching my wings before, but I did seek solitude. To sit alone in my apartment with nothing but a cup of tea and my thoughts to keep me company has been a great joy. A different type of freedom I guess.

A rainstorm at sunset tonight made the sky a beautiful orange colour. For at least half an hour I watched the sky lose it's jack-o-lantern light through my tall, drop streaked windows. Alone. Content.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd been pondering over this freedom/solitude motivation since I moved in. I came across this video on one of the blogs I check often (can't remember which one). It only seemed fitting to include it.


2 comments:

Jessica Penner said...

Wonderful! Where is your new place? I'm at Garry at Assiniboine, just south of Broadway.

And yes, I saw that video the other day too, it is wonderful!

joel said...

I'm in the West Broadway area. Sherbrook and Westminister.