Wednesday, January 7, 2009

antennas to heaven

There is this particular feeling. I only get it every once in a while, and only when when experiencing a particularly good piece of art. I'm detached from my body as I feel I am beyond it, like my very soul is what is being engaged. I'm wrapped in a warmth that oozes joy, excitement and inspiration, invigorating my very being. My emotional boilers are to bursting. I want to at the same time hold this thing so close, treasuring it for my very own, and share it with all the world so that they can feel this to. The feeling becomes a milestone as you feel somehow changed as a result of this encounter. This is the feeling of reading The Prowler. This is the feeling of listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor. This is the feeling of looking at the work of Alphonse Mucha. This is the feeling of reading GK Chesterton's Manalive. And this, was the feeling I experienced again as I read Craig Thompson's Blankets for the second time. A story of love, and belonging, loneliness and loss. If anyone questions the merit of the graphic novel, I present you this.





These are the chinese covers. I like the art work they chose.

No comments: