Sunday, October 5, 2008

Life has been more than a little busy lately. Unfortunately, I know that it's only going to get worse. The only comfort is that now that I'm in the working world my efforts are rewarded with a pay check instead of a bill. I do miss school though. I enjoyed going to classes and having my days filled with learning.

But life has brought some joys between the work. My birthday was certainly one of them. Though, I was a little disappointed that my newly received espresso cups will have to sit unused for a while. Before I left for the summer I cleaned the espresso machine I received as a very generous gift by running vinegar through it. I had not had a chance to try out the machine since I got back, so I didn't know anything was wrong. Something crystallized in the machine. Quite seriously, there was some sort of crystallized substance formed around the espresso spout part. It has clogged the machine up so it is unusable. I'm hoping I will be able to clean it out so I won't need to buy a new one.

I also went to see Plants and Animals perform with Born Ruffians. This was my third time seeing Plants and Animals and they are always a joy to see live. I especially like watching the drummer who drums in a very sharp but visually appealing way. Their set was far too short, but Born Ruffians were a good pacifier for my disappointment.

Now unless you (who live in North America) have been completely oblivious to the world around you, there are elections coming up. I came across this past week a fascinating interview with graphic novel Louis Riel author Chester Brown, who is a Libertarian candidate in Toronto. I love this not only because of my burgeoning interest in political theory (especially anarchy and libertarianism), but it is an excellent use of the comic form in a nontraditional manner. I doubt any of my friends have not experienced at least one of my rants on the glories of the graphic novel medium and its under appreciation in North America. But as I am too tired to actually fully rant here, I will let you enjoy this short joy for yourselves.



Click on the image for a bigger version.

No comments: